I have now launched the “Poppasquash Oysters™” campaign. Funds raised will allow me the unique opportunity to purchase the property and establish the farm as an environmental and educational nonprofit organization. I need your help to make this happen!
The farms proven environmental benefits to Narragansett Bay and the Rhode Island economy include:
- Poppasquash Oysters (uniquely cultured for 3yrs) spawn each year providing billions of potential fertilized eggs for wild recruitment to the Narragansett Bay fishery.
- One healthy female is capable of producing 100 million eggs, males produce even more sperm.
- Bottom cage culture provides critical artificial reef habitat for juvenile finfish & small crustaceans.
- A single adult oyster can filter 50 gallons of water per day, removing algae & harmful nutrients like nitrogen.
- Oceans absorb approximately 25% of the world’s CO2 emissions. Oysters sequester (lock) some of this carbon into the formation of their shell, 12% by weight.
- 100% of the oysters produced by the farm are sold in state. NOAA assigns an economic multiplier effect of 5 to the industry.
- Most materials used by the farm are purchased locally, supporting local business.
Farming practices which minimize the disturbance of the bay's own natural beauty.